Culture Exchange Global(CEG)
Culture Exchange Global
The village on stilts of Nzulezu
Posted on January 13th, 2014

Nzuelzu is a small village, started over 500 years ago and situated in the middle of Lake Amansuri. It is supported entirely by stilts made of central wood with a raffia walkway. To get to and from Nzulezu you must travel via canoe from a small dock in the village of Beyin, one hour away.

The population of Nzulezu is roughly 500 men, women and children, governed by a village chief and a handful of village elders. Although the town is very small, with only one “main street,” there are two churches (Pentecostal and Catholic) that stand side by side. There is one school, grades K-6 and if the children plan to go further in their education they must enroll at the public school in Beyin and commute via canoe everyday.

The “school yard” consists of four logs, two per side on the “field”, making up football goals as they stick out of the shallow areas of the lake. Although they live on water, their main source of income is agriculture. They own some land 1 km north of the lake where they grow a variety of vegetables and fruit which they sell in Beyin and the surrounding areas. There is also little exposure to the outside world with no television and poor radio reception.

Posted in not categorized    Tagged with no tags

6 Comments

Frimpong - January 13th, 2014 at 1:48 AM
This place is one of the finest place i have ever been in Ghana.
Frimpong - January 13th, 2014 at 1:56 AM
This place is one of the finest place i have visited in Ghana
Els - January 19th, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Even though I've been in Ghana two times (six months in total) and I visited a lot of places, I never had the chance to go to Nzulezu. Next time I go back (July 2014) I'm going to try to go there because I heard from other volunteers it's an amazing place!!
Brianna - February 4th, 2014 at 8:38 PM
Wow! What a village! I wasn't expecting what I experienced in Nzulezu! It really is an entire village on stilts! The people there are like every Ghanaian you meet, extremely friendly and hospitable! They didn't mind pictures as well! Coming from America, it was incredible to see how one lives without current technology. It was so refreshing! I admired the villagers!
Marloes - February 12th, 2014 at 1:25 PM
You must see this village when you're in Ghana. I thought it was really interesting to see since I had never seen something like this before. You can see their whole village and way of life, as well as the school where the children go. The journey to the village is also an experience. You go by canoe, but there is a chance that you get a bit wet during the boat trip. The people who show you around are really nice and from the village itself. Also, there is a restaurant just before you go in the boats and getting a taxi is not that difficult.
Ernestine - March 15th, 2016 at 6:29 AM